I'm here, I'm here! I know, I've been gone a looooong time. Life gets away with you sometimes, you know? All is well on the homefront...kids are great, business is picking up, every day is a blessing!
The weather leaves something to be desired...cold and wet. Such is fall, I suppose - sometimes I wonder why I claim that this is my favourite season! But then one day the sun pulls through and lights up the colours in the trees and spreads across the ground, and I remember why. The earthy smell of the leaves beneath your feet, and a cozy sweater wrapped around you like a warm hug. Perfect. Comfort.
For me, this is a whole season of comfort...comfort food, that is! Fall harvest is in full swing, which makes for perfect seasonal roasts and stews. On a cold, soggy day like today, when I'm chilled to the bone, nothing warms me up more than a hearty meal cooking in the oven - and a pie, of course. Is the smell of apple pie in the oven not the epitome of autumn? Mmmm...
I do have a great new apple pie recipe to share with you, but not today. You'll have to come back for that one ;) But for now, get your soggy self out of the rain, come in to my kitchen and warm up! We've got the woodstove burning, it feels amazing...have a cup of coffee - or maybe hot cider? and you'll be feeling warm and cozy in no time. Here, you have to try one of these gooey cinnamon buns...how's that for comfort?
~Jackie's Cinnamon Buns~
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (don't have buttermilk onhand? mix 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar, and enough milk to equal 1 cup...stir and let sit for about 5mins...use 3/4 cup of this mixture for this recipe)
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
* Preheat oven to 400F - grease a 9" round baking pan.
* Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and mix well. Stir in oil and buttermilk and stir just until blended.
* Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll dough into a 15"x8" rectangle (you may trim edges to form straight lines, if you wish).
*Spread the butter over the dough. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small dish, and sprinkle evenly over the butter.
* Roll up rectangle in a "jelly roll" fashion, starting from one long side.
* Cut the roll into 1.5" slices. Arrange slices, cut side up, in your prepared baking pan.
* Bake until lightly browned, about 15-20mins.